Every business has an environmental and ethical impact: a small, family run Australian jewellery brand is no different. Plus of course creating jewellery has its own special array of sustainability problems and considerations.
If we expect big businesses and governments to make changes to help make the world a better place, then we believe that even small businesses and individuals like us need to play a part as well.
At Simone Walsh Jewellery, we're not perfect, but we do our very best to create eco-friendly, ethical and sustainable jewellery - and we always strive to improve where we can.
How you can make a difference
Shopping small from independent designers and small, local businesses as much as you can is one way that you can help make the world a better place by moving away from everything you purchase being mass-produced - sometimes in very bad circumstances - and shipped in large quantities over long distances.
It also means being supportive of people working for themselves in small and local businesses, which has all sorts of benefits in your community.
Our eco-friendly jewellery
Here is a rundown of how Simone Walsh Jewellery aims to make a difference by operating an eco-friendly, sustainable and ethical business:
- The majority of our jewellery designs are created with recycled precious metals, including sterling silver and gold. These recycled metals have been refined and are exactly the same quality as newly mined metals.
- All scrap metal left over from creating our handmade jewellery is collected for recycling. Gold and silver scrap is ultimately sent off to be melted down, refined and reused again and again.
- Simone also creates some recycled handmade jewellery designs which are specifically intended to recycle as much scrap metal as possible so that only small pieces are refined.
- Simone Walsh Jewellery offers customers the option to add a small carbon offset contribution to their shipping costs when checking out from our online jewellery store. These contributions are collected and donated to Carbon Neutral - an Australian-run non-profit carbon offset organisation.
- When selecting chemicals to use in our business we always opt for a safer and/or lower impact alternative when available.
- We use gemstones in our jewellery designs, however, for stones which may otherwise have a high value and cannot be guaranteed to come from an ethical source, we try to source lab grown gemstones as an alternative. As well as their environmental and ethical benefits, lab grown stones have a beautiful clarity and colour, yet are far less expensive. We do use natural gemstones as well, but generally less expensive ones which have fewer ethical issues associated with them.
- Simone Walsh Jewellery recycles any recyclable materials generated by our business, such as paper and plastic. We also use recycled products whenever feasible, including in our packaging.
- As our jewellery business has grown, we have partnered with an ethically-run jewellery workshop in Indonesia which is staffed by highly skilled local artisans to create some of our components. This helps us to keep up with production demands and makes our intricate designs possible.
Learn more about Simone Walsh Jewellery.