Handmade silver chain necklace
How to look fabulous in seconds: put this handmade silver chain necklace on. This iconic and elegantly simple sterling silver chain necklace is made entirely by hand by Australian jeweller Simone Walsh.
This handmade silver chain necklace for women is a minimalist classic and is one of our most popular jewellery designs. It has a lovely light feel to wear, goes with pretty much anything and can be worn in multiple different ways. What's not to love?
Simone originally made one of these chains just for herself and it's still her most favourite piece of jewellery to wear. She personally makes every one of these chains by hand, so you'll have a quality piece to treasure for years to come.
Also see the matching handmade silver chain bracelet.
Important: The opera length (80cm) version is handmade to order. Allow up to 5 business days for your necklace to be made and shipped, although we do often complete them more quickly.
Handmade chains are special:
Most chains are made by machines, whereas handmade chains are labour-intensive, with each individual link having been worked on by the jewellery maker and left with its own character. Watch a video of one of these chains being handmade by Simone.
For this silver necklace each loop of silver is shaped from wire, cut, linked to other loops and then all of them are soldered closed. Finally each link is hammered to give it a beautiful hammer-beaten finish which catches the light. The handmade chain is finished with a sturdy and secure bolt clasp.
The chain is then tumbled for many hours to give it a polished bright and sparkly finish.
Wear it in different ways:
You can wear this chain necklace in multiple ways. The sterling silver clasp can secure the chain at any link, meaning you can wear it at its full length or clasp it higher up to leave a trailing strand of loops, which can be worn hanging down at either the front or the back. The longer necklaces are even more versatile.
See the other chain necklaces, layering necklaces and silver necklaces in our Australian jewellery shop, along with the full range of silver jewellery.
What you'll love:
- Quality sterling silver, including the clasp.
- Entirely made by hand, with each chain having its own unique character.
- Amazingly versatile jewellery design: wear it full length, wear it short, have a trail of chain hanging down at the front or at the back.
- Looks great worn with pretty much anything: add some sparkle and movement to a casual outfit or some contemporary style when dressing up.
- A beautiful, quality piece of handmade jewellery that you'll treasure for years to come and will wear again and again.
Just the facts:
- Materials: Sterling silver.
- Link size: Each link is approximately 1cm (0.4") in diameter.
- Necklace size: The chains can be clasped at any point. Choose your length from standard (50cm / 20") or Opera (80cm / 31.5").
Most of our necklaces are adjustable. We generally use standard (or princess) length (45cm / 18"), with an additional 10cm chain go up to matinee length (55cm / 22"). This is the most popular length for necklaces.
Some necklaces have different lengths and a small number are not adjustable. Be sure to read the product details and also the materials & sizes section for details about this particular necklace.
Our necklace lengths chart will give an idea of how lengths will sit. Everyone is different, so we recommend measuring an existing necklace or using string to see what will suit you.
Important: measurements are the total length (circumference). Also remember that pendants will sit lower: check our sizes & materials section for full size details.
Still not sure? Check out our handy necklace length & style guide.
- You'll get FREE shipping in Australia for orders $50+. Learn more.
- Your order comes with our money back happiness guarantee.
- Each piece of jewellery is packaged in an eco-friendly gift box including care instructions.
- You can send orders directly to a gift recipient with a personal note. You can opt to add a gift card or add gift wrapping at checkout. Invoices are never included.
- Checkout is secure and you can pay using a credit card, Paypal, Shop Pay, Afterpay, Google or Apple payments.