Handmade silver chain necklace
How to look fabulous in seconds: put this silver necklace on. This iconic and elegantly simple sterling silver chain necklace is made entirely by hand by Australian jeweller Simone Walsh.
Free shipping available
This handmade silver chain necklace for women is a minimalist classic and is one of our most popular jewellery designs. It has a lovely light feel to wear, goes with pretty much anything and can be worn in multiple different ways. What's not to love?
Simone originally made one of these chains just for herself and it's still her most favourite piece of jewellery to wear. She personally makes every one of these chains by hand, so you'll have a quality piece to treasure for years to come.
Also see our other chain necklaces in the jewellery store.
Important: The opera length (80cm) version is handmade to order. Allow up to 5 business days for your necklace to be made and shipped, although we do often complete them more quickly.
Handmade chains are special:
Most chains are made by machines, whereas handmade chains are labour-intensive, with each individual link having been worked on by the jewellery maker and left with its own character. Watch a video of Simone making one of these chains:
For this silver necklace each loop of silver is shaped from wire, cut, linked to other loops and then all of them are soldered closed. Finally each link is hammered to give it a beautiful hammer-beaten finish which catches the light. The handmade chain is finished with a sturdy and secure bolt clasp.
The chain is then tumbled for many hours to give it a polished bright and sparkly finish.
Wear it in different ways:
You can wear this chain necklace in multiple ways. The sterling silver clasp can secure the chain at any link, meaning you can wear it at its full length or clasp it higher up to leave a trailing strand of loops, which can be worn hanging down at either the front or the back. The longer necklaces are even more versatile.
What you'll love:
- Quality sterling silver, including the clasp.
- Entirely made by hand, with each chain having its own unique character.
- Amazingly versatile jewellery design: wear it full length, wear it short, have a trail of chain hanging down at the front or at the back.
- Looks great worn with pretty much anything: add some sparkle and movement to a casual outfit or some contemporary style when dressing up.
- A beautiful, quality piece of handmade jewellery that you'll treasure for years to come and will wear again and again.
Just the facts:
- Materials: Sterling silver.
- Link size: Each link is approximately 1cm (0.4") in diameter.
- Necklace size: The chains can be clasped at any point. Choose your length from standard (50cm / 20") or Opera (80cm / 31.5").
Check the product details above to see the lengths available for this necklace.
This illustration will give you an idea of how each length will sit. As everyone is different we recommend you measure an existing necklace or use some string to see what will suit you.
Standard (or princess) is the most commonly purchased length and will suit most people.
Lengths in the shop are:
- Choker: 40cm / 16.5"
- Standard (princess): 45-50cm / 17.5"-19.5"
- Matinee: 55-65cm / 21.5"-25.5"
- Opera: 70-85cm / 27.5"-33.5"
Still not sure?
Check out our necklace length guide to help you decide.
- Shipping is FREE in Australia for orders $30+. You'll get free Express Post for orders $150+. Learn more.
- Checkout is secure and you can make payments using credit card, Paypal and Afterpay, along with Google and Apple payments.
- Every order comes with a money back happiness guarantee, so you can make a return for any reason.
- Each piece of jewellery is packaged in a gift box which includes a display card with care and cleaning instructions.
- You can send your order directly to a gift recipient and include either a gift card or a gift note. Gift wrapping is also available to add in your shopping cart. Invoices are never included with deliveries.